I'm not anti-dairy. (I've previously stated how much I love homemade ice cream and my yogurt-and-honey snack--plus I adore cheese.) But I've become increasingly aware of some of the amazing milk substitutes on the market--several of which are quite healthful and delicious. Soymilk, rice milk and almond milk are now readily available at your local supermarket, and they come in all varieties and package sizes; shelf stable or refrigerated; vanilla, chocolate or plain; low-fat, fat-free or "original."
There's much to be admired about these non-dairy milks. Most taste great in your morning cereal or straight from the glass (best COLD). They compare quite favorably to cow's milk in calorie count, flavor and creaminess and can be substituted for cow's milk in most recipes (opt for "plain" flavor when substituting for plain milk). And, many milk subsitutes have even more nutritional value than cow's milk, including extra calcium, some fiber, added vitamins and minerals and phytonutrients. Soymilk may have cholesterol-lowering qualities, and almond milk is rich and creamy while being completely free of saturated fat and offering about as many calories per cup as fat-free milk. Not a bad bargain!
I'm not suggesting you give up regular milk. But why not try a few of the vegetarian milk varieties on the market and see which strike your fancy. You may have a new healthful favorite in your house before long!
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment