Yes, I know it's summertime (ish), and I just posted about all the wonderful fresh produce out there, but let's get real about something else for a minute: sometimes you just don't have the time, energy or wherewithal to deal with fresh produce. Sometimes--and yes, I'm going to say it--you have to use canned.
Now I know what they say about canned goods: too much sodium, not enough flavor, who knows what the can lining will do to you. But I contend that, like everything else, canned goods in moderation are fine, especially if they get you eating more of those all-important fruits and veggies.
To wit: Last night, we grilled up some apple-maple turkey burgers (thanks, Sandra Lee!), and I made roasted sweet potato and white-potato (for my fussy 10-year-old) oven fries, but simply couldn't deal with washing and tearing up greens for a salad. So I turned to my pantry and whipped up a yummy three-bean salad faster than you can say "can opener." I took canned red kidney beans (good quality), mixed them with canned black beans and canned garbanzo beans--all drained and rinsed to remove much of the sodium--and added some microwaved frozen corn kernels that I rinsed in cold water and drained, along with a quick balsamic vinaigrette. Now if I had had more time, energy and forethought, I could have added some cilantro, chopped roma tomatoes, other herbs and spices, but this was fine in a pinch. And everyone liked it. And with the balsamic dressing, it had plenty of flavor punch.
So take stock of the canned goods in your pantry and don't forget about them when you're stuck for a dinner idea. You might just create the next great side dish for your block party or beach barbecue.
Monday, June 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment