Monday, July 26, 2010

Regrets, I've Had a Few

I've come to realize there's a smart and effective way to react when temptation stares you down. And let's face it, temptation is going to be there no matter how strong, how committed you are to getting fit and healthy. It's just a fact of life--we're hard-wired to want things that give us instant gratification, and often the thing we want is food that's not necessarily good for us. But if we take a moment to look at that desire and examine it, we gain a little ground in overcoming it.

When those crunchy chips or a little something sweet after dinner that isn't fruit or the leftover fries on my daughter's plate are beckoning me, I try to remember to stop and ask myself, "Will I regret eating them, or will I regret not eating them?" Which wins out? Usually I'll regret eating them more than not eating them. And when I'm faced with that reality, it's easier to make the right choice. Sure, those temptations will taste great, but how will I feel afterward? We all know how that feels.

Now, this approach may not apply to that one-of-a-kind meal or dish that you've never tried and were always curious about. And you may find that you'll regret NOT eating it more than eating it. In those cases, I say go for it (keeping portion control in mind, of course, if you can!). But really, how often does it happen that you're faced with something that unique? Unless you're traveling in a foreign country, probably not that often. The rest of the time, try asking yourself the "regrets" question. You may be surprised by your answer.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you Carrie - you look amazing. But equally important, it sounds as if you have really found your balance in terms of what works for you. That is key in this weight/food issue. I have weighed the same my entire adult life but I still have to question myself about my food choices. I love to eat junk but then don't always feel so energetic. You would think with all my working out it would hand in hand. I am making better choices but in small steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deb! It does work, which is why I want to share it with others. Good for you for keeping your weight consistent--that's not easy! Thanks for pointing out that even if eating poorly doesn't affect your weight, it still can affect the way you feel. We all make poor choices every so often, but working out is a great choice, so you should give yourself credit for that. You look great, too!!

    ReplyDelete