Thursday, December 3, 2009

I Must Confess, I Have Transgressed

No, not against my husband--against my healthful eating plan. Curious about the homewrecker? The adorable little M&M dispenser we bought for my daughter at M&M World in Las Vegas a couple of months ago. That thing has been seducing me with peanut M&Ms!

Oh, it started out innocently enough. At first it was just the "specialty flavors" we bought at the store--flavors you don't usually find like coconut and dark chocolate-peanut. And then the slope became slipperier (is that a word?) with plain M&Ms, minis from Halloween, and finally, the ones I can never seem to resist: peanut. I'm able to hold off all day, but come dessert time, that dispenser has been calling my name. And it's been making me a trifle unhappy with the scale this week.

So, what am I going to do? Give in tonight like I have all week? Or say a firm "No, thank you" to the colorful dispenser? Which do you think?

If this is ringing a bell for you, I'll bet you have a weakness for something that you just can't say no to. Cookies? Chips? Cheese? My suggestion would be to rid your home of the temptation so that it's out of sight and hopefully out of mind. But if others in your house eat it, like it and aren't addicted like you are, then you may have to learn a new strategy for avoiding it. How about providing a healthful snack that you actually like and enjoy instead of the tempting evil thing? That way, you'll have something to look forward to when it's staring you in the face (or winking at me, the way the dispenser does sometimes).

Good luck--and wish me luck, too. At least there are no golf clubs in the house. (The garage is another story...)

2 comments:

  1. My husband likes German licorice -- really salty and has an ammonia aftertaste. That's all we keep around on a regular basis because I don't like it AT ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the licorice--it would definitely be safe with me! Good idea to stock the house with candy you don't like. Me, I'm usually pretty good with candy. I think the novelty of the dispenser is what's luring me in. Can't eat them out of the bag!

    ReplyDelete