The other day at the supermarket I saw a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix (arguably the most popular corn muffin mix around) and decided to check the ingredient label again. I've been off this product ever since I saw that it was made with lard, an ingredient that doesn't mix well with my kosher kitchen or my waistline. I was shocked by what I read. Not only is lard still in the ingredient list, but it's in there in one of three possible forms: regular lard, hydrogenated lard or partially hydrogenated lard. Yikes! As if plain old lard weren't enough reason to avoid this one, they give it to us in two more heart-clogging forms. Thanks, Jiffy!
This little episode reinforced for me that we all need to continue reading product labels, both for nutrition information AND ingredients. Don't be fooled by "O grams trans fat" claims on products that have hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated anything in them. Products with less than 1g of trans fats can list them as having 0g, but those half- and three-quarter grams of trans fat do add up. Remember: if the ingredient label lists anything "hydrogenated" (partially or fully), avoid it. Stick with ingredients that you yourself would put in your corn muffins. And don't stop reading those labels!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment