Sounds crazy, right? I mean, letting cravings control your food choices sounds like a sure recipe for failure. But that's not what I'm talking about when I say "give in." There's a difference between eating an entire three-scoop banana split with whipped cream, hot fudge, a cherry and wet walnuts, and eating a small serving of that decadently rich gourmet ice cream that's calling to you from the freezer. One might argue that you should banish such items from your home--and for some people, that's the only way they're going to have any willpower--but I do believe that most people are able to properly manage their consumption of sweets and treats if they approach it from a perspective of control rather than abandonment. Look at it this way, we all live in the real world. Temptation is all around us, in the multitude of restaurants, fast-food commercials, frozen-yogurt shops and well-meaning mothers all urging us to eat, indulge, give in. So, the sooner we learn how to deal with that temptation, the better off and more successful we'll be.
Yesterday, my family and I went to a wine-tasting/BBQ event. Not only could we taste eight different wines, but there were at least that many different kinds of cheeses we could help ourselves to, plus bread, crackers, fresh and dried fruit--not to mention hot dogs and chips (the BBQ part). If I had completely abandoned my eating plan, it wouldn't have been pretty. But instead, I gave it some forethought and kept my cool. Earlier in the day, I exercised (naturally), ate a balanced breakfast and lunch--complete with lots of fresh veggies and whole grains, of course--and drank plenty of water. By the time the first glass of white wine was in my hand, I wasn't starving or particularly thirsty, just ready. I nibbled on the fruit and cheeses, ignoring the creamy cheeses that would require me to eat crackers or bread with them, grabbed a hot dog with a few chips and called it a day. I consider that a controlled indulgence--not on the everyday eating plan, but nothing out of hand either. And when I stepped on the scale this morning, I wasn't disappointed; my weight had held its own.
You can have the same approach, whether you're you're faced with a tempting unhealthful food or a whole buffet of diet-busters. First, get a lay of the land. Survey the entire table. Figure out what you can reasonably eat and still remain true to your goals. Whether it's 1/2 a brownie and a big bowl of berries, a few bites of your husband's slice of blueberry pie or four French fries--decide in advance what you'll eat and stick with it. Even if your mother is urging you to take a second helping, or "just one more bite because it looks so good," ask yourself if you really want it. Imagine stepping on the scale tomorrow and being pleasantly surprised by what you see. Keep your eye on the prize, and you won't be disappointed.
Next post: Your new mantra: "I am not a garbage disposal."
Monday, July 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment