Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Why I Don't Believe in Diets

Diets do work, just not for the long term. Believe me, I've tried 'em--a whole bunch, from the tuna and roast beef diet to Pritikin (way back when)--and I've lost weight on some of them. But the weight always came back. Why? Diets are not meant for or feasible for the long term. They are restrictive, usually boring and hard to stick to for any length of time. And if you do manage to stick to them, eventually you will go off them and gain back the weight. At that point, it'll be even harder to lose the weight, psychologically and physiologically. So I don't advocate dieting. Instead, I prefer to be educated about what food does to my body and make choices and changes in my eating habits that will be beneficial rather than depriving and punishing. There's no need to deprive yourself when there's a wealth of delicious and healthful food choices at your disposal. A successful eating and weight-loss plan will include a large variety of foods that offer different nutritional benefits for your body and keep you feeling satiated and happy. Food is meant to nourish us, not torture us.

To wit, here's my recipe for Back Bean Salsa. It's so simple a child could make it, yet it's packed with vitamins, fiber and flavor. Stir together one can of black beans, drained and rinsed; one can of diced tomatoes, drained; and 1/4 cup of your favorite jarred or homemade salsa. (You can use low-sodium canned goods if you prefer.) Add chopped cilantro, minced jalapenos and a squeeze of lime juice if you like. Serve on grilled fish with a side of whole-wheat couscous. Delicious and nutritious! Still looking for healthful recipes? I recommend Cooking Light (www.cookinglight.com) for its balanced approach to light cooking.

Next post: How the right foods are like rocket fuel for your body. Oh, and please feel free to comment, complain, suggest, interact with this blog. I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment