Friday, July 10, 2009
How it All Began
Ever since I was a little girl, I was unhappy with my weight. I wasn't obese, but I always leaned on the side of pleasantly chubby. I loved food and learned how to cook at a fairly young age (8?9?), but I never developed a truly healthy relationship with food until about two years ago, when I finally started to get my weight under control and take responsibility for the way I looked and felt. I call it "getting real" about my weight. I couldn't lie to myself anymore about my eating habits, no matter how "healthful" I believed them to be. The proof was in the mirror, on the scale and in my closet: I didn't like what I saw, the sizes I was wearing, pictures of myself. Truth is, I couldn't remember a time when I DID like those things. I wanted to change. And so I did. And I believe anyone out there can change, too. It doesn't take fancy programs, weird diets or anything crazy to make it happen. You can do it, and I'd like to help.
Labels:
In the beginning...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So great to have a real life approach.
ReplyDeleteI love your success! I like to eat small portions of healthy foods, but I find it hard to do ALL the time. I have a hard time when we do family activities like play cards/poker games at home or watch movies either at home or at the theatre because during those times I like to eat what everyone else is eating & it kills me. It's hard to eat fruit/veggies/crackers when everyone else is eating Lays potato chips & dip. It's hard to skip popcorn or eat it without the yummy butter & salt.
ReplyDeleteI hear ya, Amy. It's hard to eat right when everyone around you is eating not-so-healthful stuff. Temptation and peer pressure are powerful things. But I do have a few suggestions. First, try eating something healthful before the bingefest to fill you up and help you avoid feeling deprived, like watermelon, or a few almonds and a glass of milk. You could also introduce some better-for-you snacks to the bingefest, like popcorn popped in oil with a sprinkle of kosher salt or parmesan cheese. Incidentally, movie popcorn with a little salt and no butter is a great option--and your hands won't get greasy.
ReplyDelete