If there's one thing I've learned on this journey to eat better, be fit and stay healthy, it's to go back to basics. Focusing in on what I already knew about fruits, veggies and whole grains was the foundation of my eating plan. But I've also learned that buying, eating and cooking foods that are as close to their original form is the way to go. So I'm gonna go ahead and say it: if you don't already know how to cook, it's time to learn.
I believe that the key to permanent weight loss is understanding how your body reacts to food and being able to provide it with the right foods for the reaction you want. I don't know if it's possible to understand completely how your body reacts to food unless you're able to create the dishes you eat. It doesn't have to be fancy "gourmet" cooking: some of the best dishes are the simplest. But you should be able to supply yourself with the basics.
Here's an example of how cooking puts you in control. Every so often I used to buy premade apple pie at the grocery store. Then I tried making my own apple pie, and I discovered that not only did it taste better than the store-bought kind, it also was cheaper and gave me more satisfaction. (It also was free of any ingredients I couldn't pronounce.) I've since taken this concept further and applied it to other foods I might typically buy--or buy in premade form, such as hummus, oatmeal and soup. When I can see the whole foods going into the dish, I enjoy it more, pay less for it and can customize it to my own taste.
Think about this, too. If you're completely at the mercy of what someone else is cooking, which fast-food menus you have or what your overly hungry stomach is craving, you're not in control, and you're less likely to meet your goals. But if you have some healthful staples in your pantry (canned tuna, whole-grain pasta, chickpeas) and your fridge (onions, eggs, veggies) and you know how to cook, you can whip up a killer frittata or even a healthful salad on a moment's notice. You'll feel better about yourself and be one step closer to your weight-loss goals, vs. the person who's on the phone with Domino's Pizza. Think about it.
It can be as simple as asking your mom or a friend to show you how to make something, or as deliberate as signing up for a beginner cooking class. There are tons of cookbooks out there for the novice, as well. Just start somewhere--anywhere you're comfortable--and you may discover a passion for cooking you never imagined. And save a few bucks along the way.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment