Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Cool Beans

Within the last couple of years, I've added various forms of beans to my and my family's diets. It started with garbanzo beans (i.e., chickpeas) and progressed from there. I had just started having my cholesterol monitored by a physician, and she was helping me lower my numbers without meds. Garbanzo beans was one of the items on the list of cholesterol-lowering foods she gave me, and I took it to heart. Hummus (made from garbanzo beans, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and spices) became a mainstay in our fridge; I use it as a veggie dip, a sandwich spread (instead of mayo or mustard) and a spread on whole-grain crackers. A yummy dip that's filled with heart-healthy fats and fiber? What's not to love about that?

I started adding beans to our dinners, too, in salsas, fajitas, veggie dishes and soups. Canned vegetarian refried beans became a pantry staple, and since they're fat-free there's no guilt in tossing a dollop onto a taco or veggie stir-fry. A delicious dish a friend told me about is Swiss chard slow-simmered with onions, garlic and cannellini (white beans). So delicious!

I also discovered that beans were one of the few foods my whole family likes--even my picky 9-year-old! Since there are so many different types--from green beans to kidney beans to black-eyed peas--and so many different ways to serve them, it's hard to get tired of them. Give them a try and see for yourself. Check out http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/legumes/NU00260 for cooking tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment