Many people who hear about my eating plan ask me about portion control. They say, "Didn't you get hungry when you first started eating less?" The truth is, yes and no. Yes, I got hungry, but no, I didn't simply go back to eating more of the foods I had just cut back on. Instead of eating more pasta, bread, cheese, meat or sweets, I added more fruit, more vegetables, more fiber. And that has made all the difference.
The obvious theory "eat less = weigh less" ultimately only works if you eat less of the foods that are causing you to be overweight and more of the foods that will help you to slim down. Fortunately, those foods you'll be adding more of also (generally):
* are low in calories
* are high in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber and water
* require more chewing, more "mouthfuls," which in and of itself makes you feel like you're eating more and is more filling and satisfying
* are extremely versatile and delicious
* can also keep you healthier in general--your digestive system and upper respiratory system in particular will thank you.
I always exercise portion control on higher-calorie, higher-fat foods--even the healthful ones like nuts, nut butters, mono- and polyunsaturated oils, avocadoes and salmon. At the end of the day, a calorie is a calorie, whether it comes from salmon or cake. So you do need to make sure you're not overindulging in even the most healthful foods. But as for those lower-calorie, lower-fat fruits and veggies, the sky's the limit.
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Carrie,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing all of these helpful tips with us! I especially liked this post about portion control, because my husband is a portion control freak (and I mean that in a good way!) He has a trick that he says really makes a difference when you are indulging in pasta or fatty foods:
Use a really small plate or bowl.
It makes you feel like you're eating more, and that results in a more satisfying "indulgence!"
Can't wait to see what you blog about next.
Thanks for your great tip! Your husband is right: the size of your bowl, plate, glass, even your utensils does make a difference. When you downsize your eating "tools," you'll fool yourself into thinking you're eating a lot more than you are. Visually, 1/4 cup of ice cream seems like a full-size portion if it's served in a tiny bowl. Eat it with a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon and you'll really feel like you're treating yourself! This type of behavior modification really works. Thanks for pointing it out!
ReplyDeleteWhen I cut my cereal portion to half, I switched to a smaller bowl and spoon. It takes a lot more spoonfuls to finish the bowl, so I never feel deprived.