I've already extolled the virtues of the digital scale as an extremely helpful tool for keeping you on track in your weight-loss efforts. When you commit to stepping on the scale frequently (I prefer every day), you'll think twice about that second helping, which can prevent you from overeating. Now I want to talk about talk about another great tool: the heart-rate monitor.
A little over a year ago, my husband got me a heart-rate monitor watch for Mother's Day. I loved it so much that I got him one for Father's Day! Mine is programmable for my age and gender, which helps make it more accurate. But one of my favorite features is the calorie counter, which takes into account those two factors. I love to use it during spin class and running--sustained cardiovascular exercise--to help give me an idea of how hard I'm working. Now, granted, it doesn't take into account my weight and height, and it doesn't consistently monitor my progress so I do have to check in frequently by pressing down on a button (which takes away from the accuracy), but it does give me a general idea of how many calories I'm burning and whether I need to step it up.
Using the heart-rate monitor has added a new dimension to my workouts. I'm no longer working against the clock but against my own progress, which helps me get faster and stronger. Plus, it lets me know how much leeway I have in my calorie intake for the day. I don't swear by the numbers it gives me, but I use it as yet another guide for my day. I highly suggest you get one and use it while walking, running, using the treadmill or cycling. You can get the wristwatch style for about $50, or invest in one that straps around your body above the ribcage for consistent monitoring and greater accuracy (these can run up to $350). Check out this site for more information about monitors: http://www.marathonguide.com/training/articles/HeartMonitorTraining.cfm.
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment