Friday, October 30, 2009

The Cold-Weather Blues

So I've been having some off days lately, getting seduced by M&M's, too much granola, handfuls of Pirate's Booty at a birthday party. What's happening? I was able to resist just a few short weeks ago. Then it hit me: the weather's getting cooler. Time for cold-weather comfort food--or at least that's what my body's been telling my brain. Time to shore up for the winter so I don't starve like in caveman times.

Don't get me wrong--there's plenty of healthful cold-weather comfort food out there. And in moderation, it's all good. But the tendency this time of year is perhaps to indulge in just a bit too much of it. A few extra calories here and there, and the scale isn't our friend anymore. What to do?

What I always do when I'm led astray is go back to the basics, and if you've been reading this blog for awhile, you know what they are: fresh fruits, vegetables, lean protein, small portions of whole grains, nuts, seeds, water, lean dairy. It's great to try soups, stews, fruit compotes, dried fruit (since fresh-fruit options are fewer this time of year), but beware of your portion sizes. It's easy to down quite a lot of calorie-laden soup because you don't have to chew it! And pasta and potatoes can be particularly tempting when it's cold outside.

Don't deny yourself. Just don't overdo. And don't use the cooler weather as an excuse not to get into your gym clothes: you must still exercise. But snuggling up with a hot cup of tea and a good movie is a great option ... afterward!

No comments:

Post a Comment