Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pin Up Those Unflattering Photos

I hadn't considered this true before, but seeing yourself overweight (and not liking it) can be a real motivator. It occurred to me today that every time I log on to my blog and see that "before" photo of myself 25 lbs. heavier, I cringe. It's never fun to see yourself as unattractive. But it might just stop you from putting that extra cookie in your mouth.

Here's a behavior-modification trick that actually works: Post a photo of yourself that you hate in a prominent place, either at home or at work (if you can stand it). It should go wherever you most feel tempted to go off your eating plan on a regular basis. If that doesn't keep you on track, I don't know what will. No, it's not there to torture you, just to remind you of what you're moving away from. If you want to balance it out, buy an outfit in your goal size (as long as it's realistic) and post a pic of that next to your "before" shot. (Besides, if you've invested in new, smaller-size clothes, that could be another incentive.)

They say a picture speaks a thousand words, so let that work to your advantage. As much as I want to delete that photo, I'm keeping it up to show you how my eating plan transformed me, and how it can work for you. It also works as a reminder to me of how far I've come, and how I'll never go back. Come up with similar motivators for yourself, and they'll help you achieve your goals.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right about the photo...we tend to forget what we look like and "get used" to our heavier self...I am going to tape one to the front of my fridge!!! Thanks for the blog it has lots of useful information and very motivational. You look great!

    ReplyDelete