Thursday, October 1, 2009

How to Eat Ice Cream and Not Gain Weight

I used to eat low-fat ice cream. But that was when I was 25 lbs. heavier. Now I eat the full-fat stuff and enjoy every spoonful. Let me explain. You see, my wonderful husband bought me a Cuisinart ice cream/frozen yogurt machine for Mother's Day a couple of years ago. It was the best present he ever gave me because I never have to touch the thing and I get to eat the most delicious ice cream I've ever had. From Day1, my husband started making first vanilla, then coffee, then cookies-and-cream, and then branched out into exotic gourmet flavors like white chocolate-port-soaked-blueberry. Yum! (For the record, I think I made mango sorbet in the thing once.)

Anyway, we no longer buy ice cream because that's sacrilege when you can make the all-natural stuff that tastes so much better right at home. But, of course, all of that fabulous ice cream (made with heavy whipping cream and half-and-half) does come with a price: it's high in fat, calories and cholesterol. So how do I eat it and not gain weight or compromise my health? Very strategically.

I only eat it if I've had a healthful eating day and have budgeted a few extra calories for a treat. And THEN I only take a small scoop and top it with fruit, nuts, maybe a drizzle of caramel or chocolate syrup. Let me tell you, that ice cream is so rich and wonderful that I literally can't eat more than that without feeling really gross. And you know I don't go there if I can help it.

My point about all this is, rather than eating mediocre low-fat ice cream that leaves you craving more, it might be smarter to eat the full-fat stuff ON OCCASION as long as you can stop at a small portion. It's all in the context of healthful eating, everything in moderation, etc., etc., which we've all heard about for years. But it works. This applies to cookies, cake, whatever it is that you adore in full-fat form but doesn't quite measure up in low-fat version. And it's not every day. And it's not when you're feeling depressed or stressed or bored. And it is when you're feeling in control--which should be more and more frequently once you start eating right.

No comments:

Post a Comment