Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Believing in Change

Instrumental to your weight-loss success is the belief that you can and will change your body, that you can and will lose weight and keep it off. If you aren't vested in this change, it's not likely to happen or last. So I'm asking you to make a promise to yourself that you will believe in your own power to change your life and make it into what you want it to be.

Why do I believe this so strongly? I struggled with my weight for over 37 years before I figured out how to get in shape. Suppose I had given up after 36 years--I'd still be 25 lbs. overweight, or even heavier. Like so many people, I didn't think there was anything I could do to lose weight. I was resigned to believing, "Oh well, this is just my weight; I'd better get used to it." I thought since I was over 40, it would be even more impossible to lose the weight, and I also thought that I would have to restrict my calorie intake to such a great degree that I would feel perpetually deprived--and I love to eat, so I knew that wouldn't fly.

Fortunately, I didn't give up. I just took everything I already knew and applied it. I didn't give up. And it worked--I've kept the weight off for a year and half.

Whether you just take one of my tips to heart, or follow what I did religiously, you're taking a positive step. You will start to see change, which will reinforce your beliefs. People will begin to notice the change, which will make you want to continue. But it starts with you. So you decide: Do you believe you can change, or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment