Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pick a Goal Range Rather Than a Number

When I was losing the 25 lbs., I had a particular number in my head that I wanted to reach. I call that my "vanity" number because I only picked it because I wanted to say I'd lost 25 lbs. That number is still in my head, but I don't live by it. Why? I've found that my body and I are much happier anywhere from 2-3 lbs. higher than that number. So, not long after reaching my goal weight, I decided that I would try to remain within that range for the long term--and I have. I highly advise you to do the same.

Choosing one number as your goal is like walking a tightrope for the rest of your life. It's just too difficult to maintain your weight at one number, what with all of the factors that go into what your weight is on any given day. Up to 3 lbs. is a reasonable margin. It allows you to have that slice of cake at your cousin's wedding, to skip a workout now and then because you're trying to finish that project at work. Basically, having a range allows you to live your life without feeling that your eating plan is a life sentence.

Now, if you should stray outside of your chosen range, it's time to do some serious reassessing of your eating and exercise choices. The range is not an excuse to overindulge on any regular basis, particularly if you're losing weight for health reasons. It's there to keep you in check, but allows life to happen. And you're much more likely to achieve the weight loss you desire--for life!--if you're realistic about it and don't feel like you've "blown it" just because you're 1 lb. over your goal. The goal range sets you up for success, which is what's it's all about, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment