Are you one of those people who automatically throws a starch into every dinner? You know: protein, starch, veggie. I was, too, until I recently discovered that my family barely notices if I leave it out sometimes. Particularly on those days when my protein happens to have starch in it already (i.e., breaded or cornflake-coated chicken, potato-crusted fish, braised meat with a flour-based gravy or braising liquid), what I've started doing is cutting out the extra serving of starch. Be it rice, potatoes, polenta or bread, I've found we don't miss it so much, especially if I throw in an extra veggie option or two. Last night I made my "shake and bake" chicken with steamed broccoli and green peas, and while bread was an option most of those at the table opted out. And I was very happy with the scale this morning, too.
You can try this, too, particularly if you and/or your family like a variety of veggies. It's nice if you mix it up, serving a veggie prepared one way (roasted, grilled or steamed) with one prepared a different way, or even two very different veggies (asparagus and carrots, for example, or zucchini and a green salad). It fills you up, gives you that extra fiber and all those wonderful antioxidants, and helps you lose weight, too. Just make sure to keep the butter, cheese and oil in check by either leaving them out or watching portion sizes.
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment