I was talking to a friend the other day about exercise. She told me how she struggles to find the motivation to exercise, so she's thinking about cancelling her YMCA membership. Upon reflecting on our conversation later, I had to chuckle. Yes, I exercise pretty much every day and have for years. But am I "motivated" to exercise? Not really--but I'm motivated to be in shape, feel great, look good in my clothes and like what I see in the mirror. And for me, it begins with exercise.
I know a lot of people struggle with this one. If you're not used to exercising, it can feel very foreign to start adding it to your daily routine. At first, it feels like just one more thing on your "to do" list. But if you start to do it regularly, it will become as automatic--and nearly as unthinkable to skip--as brushing your teeth. You don't have to exercise every day--that may not be right for everyone. But if you don't do it regularly, and you start to add it in, you're going to see results much faster. And I don't just mean weight loss. It seems trite to talk about it, but how do glowing skin, more energy, an overall sense of well-being and a better mood sound? Are you "motivated" to have those?
So no, I'm not motivated to exercise. I don't get joy out of gasping for air as I'm running up a hill. But I am motivated for that great feeling of accomplishment I get for DOING IT. I am motivated for how pumped my legs feel afterward. I am motivated to know I've done something incredibly good for myself. If exercise doesn't motivate you, find something that exercise brings you that DOES. That should get you up off the couch.
Sunday, August 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The best time to exercise is when you don't feel like it! Even if you only walk around the block or do some situps in front of the TV.
ReplyDeleteTrue, Claire, and I find that once I do just a little bit, I'm OK with doing just a little bit more. Pretty soon, I've completed a whole workout and am glad I did it.
ReplyDelete