Yesterday for lunch, I ate the biggest burrito I've ever chowed down in my life. I can only think that I was possessed by demons because I can't imagine what else could have gotten into me. My family and I walked into the taco shop, I looked at the menu board and for some reason, that vegetarian burrito grabbed me and wouldn't let go. Did I know the burritos in that shop were huge? Yes, I did. Did I know I'd totally be blowing my calorie count--not to mention fat, cholesterol, starch, etc.--for the day? I suspected as much. But did I order the two demure-looking street tacos like my smart husband did? No, I didn't. I had to have that enormous burrito. And it was gooooooood!
But as the day wore on and the food coma took over, I was regretting my decision. I reflected on why I might have done such a destructive thing to myself and came up with two conclusions: 1. the word "vegetarian" and 2. insane hunger. First, I fell for the word "vegetarian," which many of us translate to mean "healthful." Not so fast. Vegetarian foods can be quite healthful--I know many healthy, fit vegetarians. But not all vegetarian foods make good choices, particularly when they describe gargantuan burritos filled with cheese and full-fat sour cream, wrapped in a ginormous tortilla (probably at least 300 calories on its own). I wasn't thinking, which let me to #2--I let myself get too hungry before eating, and so was less in control of what I was doing.
So now I know better--and you can learn from my mistakes. Just because it says "vegetarian" doesn't mean it's the right choice for you: assess total calories, fat and, above all, portion sizes before deciding if it is. And please, for the love of God, don't wait until you're famished to eat. You'll wolf down the first thing you see, and you'll probably end up making the wrong choice. Have a snack if you have too much time before your next meal, and you'll have the presence of mind to say "no" when you should. Unlike me...
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment