Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Organic or Not?

I have to admit, I'm still on the fence about buying organic foods. I know it's all the rage and advocates say how much better it is for you, your family, the environment, etc. I just have a hard time shelling out extra bucks for food--which is already expensive enough, in my book--when I'm not sure it's worth the expense. I've heard arguments pro and con about organic food, and I'm still undecided. There are times when I will buy organic: when it's cheaper than non-organic for the same item; or when I can actually taste the difference and the organic item tastes better.

The latter was the case for me recently when I bought a bag of organic baby carrots (because they were cheaper). They tasted much "cleaner" to me, with none of that chemical flavor I usually detect in the non-organic variety. This is important to me--I eat a lot of those little carrots, so I want them to taste like carrots, not chemicals. But organic bananas? Organic milk? I'm not so sure.

So I'm leaving it up to you to decide. Maybe you'll love the taste of organic produce so much that it'll encourage you to eat more produce in general--in that case, I'm highly in favor of it! If you want to learn more about organic foods, Jillian Michaels has lots of good information about them (www.jillianmichaels.com). And if you--like me--want to try a taste test between organic/non-organic produce, by all means do it! I'm curious as to what you'll discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment