OK, I'm torn on the potato question, too--although not as much as I'm torn about organic foods. On the one hand, the potato does fall into the produce category, is extremely low in fat and calories and supplies a healthy amount of calcium, iron and vitamin C. (For more nutritional info on potatoes, go to www.calorieking.com.) On the other, it's a high-starch food--no doubt about it. All the "popular" diets these days say to avoid potatoes like the plague, but I don't subscribe to that. So here's my read on potatoes: go ahead and eat them, but in moderation. It's OK to make potatoes your starch of choice for a meal or two a week, but I wouldn't eat them every day (unless they're sweet potatoes, which are extremely healthful). They're not as bad as starchy REFINED carbs, but not as good as whole grains.
When you do eat potatoes, opt for leaving the skin on and either baking, steaming, microwaving or boiling them. As a matter of fact, I'm making potatoes right now, using one of my favorite veggie-cooking methods: roasting. Cut potatoes into wedges and place on a roasting pan or cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Spray with more cooking spray, sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika, and roast at 425 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until soft and outsides are crispy. YUM!! I serve these with omelets, steak, chicken--and my whole family loves them. Enjoy--but don't overdo.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment